Thursday, September 9, 2010

School Ain't for Sissies

It is only 8:45 pm and I am exhausted. I just gulped down a cup of coffee, and I feel like I need another one to get to bed, which is about 20 feet away. I arrived at UNM this morning about 8, grabbed a breakfast burrito (which I delighted in eating the innards of, avoiding most of the tortilla) and a nice cup of coffee. I didn't have class until 11, but I took my breakfast down to the Association of Non-Traditional Students office (down in the basement of the SUB, great place to hang out!) and visited with my friend Janice, met a nice new civil engineering student named Joe, and was thrilled by the arrival of Dr. John, our most senior member. John is a retired OBGYN who attends classes between world travels and health crises, and is one of my favorite people, if for no other reason than last semester he brought me an article from a men's magazine touting the greatest pleasures in life, having circled "hugging an ample woman" or something to that effect. He gave it to me with a great big hug, which made me feel pretty damn good to be an ample woman, I can tell you. John was just in from Buenos Aires, and said he had never had a better steak. We talked about booze, his wife, his travels. He is a marvelous man to know. When he left another good friend, JoeL, a great young man who leads the campus LULAC chapter came to visit me, asked for a little help with his Spanish homework, and then fell asleep on our table because he had been up all night studying. I woke him up to walk with me to class. Today I only had one class, Campaigns and Elections, with Prof. Tim Krebs. I love this class, because we talk about my favorite subject for an hour and fifteen minutes, and Tim is very funny, and the class is mostly made up of a lot of really brilliant young people (yes, I am again the oldest member of the class, just a couple of years younger than Tim) with whom I have had the pleasure of taking other courses. After class I went to my job at the Title V program, and worked to build content for the new Graduation Express website.
Since coming home I have been working on Spanish homework. I just want to get horizontal now, my back hurts, my eyes are tired, and I think that I will fall asleep before my beloved Frasier.

No comments:

Post a Comment